Wednesday 21 March 2007

I'm a lumberjack and I'm confused

So it's my second blog day. I feel like I'm in a forest chopping down trees and no one is hearing them fall.

But they are noisy, dammit. Berkeley can say what I wants, I know what I know.

Just as well a ton of people aren't responding to me yet, since I have no idea how to get back to them. Navigating this world o'blogging is easy, my web guy says. Sure it is, I tell him. But whenever I click on POST or PUBLISH, or RESPND, the words disappear. Publish or perish, they say, and I'm perishing. Oh well, maybe this one will get through.

A (surely) common question: how on earth do serious bloggers (and I am soooo not a serious blogger) get any work done? I can imagine this process getting addictive; caring more and more about detailing my daily life, sharing it with the (two, so far) people who visit my site. But it is not paying the bills.

All right, maybe just one more paragraph. Then I must get back to work.

Into The Ravine is in copy edit. This means that for the next few weeks I will be immersed in the minutiae of commas and m-dashes and foolish consistencies. So my hero appears in different colouored shorts halfway through the book -- so why can't he change? Dr Watson has two names in the Sherlock Holmes books. And two different war injuries. Who cares? I don't.

All right, I'll go now. See you tomorrow. Keep those cards and letters coming.

7 comments:

Bernard said...

Ach, worry not. You got two comments on your first post. Better than some of us.

To keep my comment slightly relevant to what I wanted to say, I just wanted to let you knowthat I've semi-officially declared your books Awesome. They're in my Awesome book pile in the middle of my bedroom--above ten others and under a few, but never too far out of reach. They make me laugh, and Goodness knows I read too many dark things. Thanks for writing, it keeps my sanity blissfully toeing the wayside line.

--Salerio(Remember me? We met in a bookstore in Montreal and discussed little girls and boys on islands, ants and objects used to keep windows open.)

Richard Scrimger said...

For sure I remember you. Orla Melling is a good friend, and she and I were doing a gig in Montreal together. Yeah, yeah. Great to hear from you. Thanks for the plug. I'm still intrigued at your choice of identity names: not the most memorable character in Merchant of Venice.

Bernard said...

Ah, but that's the whole point. Memorable characters tend to get scrutinized way too much, and that restricts their movement. Salerio's overlooked by the audience; he can do his own thing when he's not onstage, contrary to, say, Bassanio.

Plus, all the other memorable leads are complete idiots, or morally corrupted.

Anonymous said...

Hey Richard you came to my school Elizabeth Simcoe i found your presentation interesting and funny i have already started reading your book on the way to schenetady (or so i think that is how it is spelled) you also taught me to take dramatic sips of coffee (or so you said) while i am writing my storys anyways thanks for the great presentation

Anonymous said...

Hey Richard! You came to my school today, Elizabeth Simcoe! I really enjoyed your presentation! You are so funny! I really want to read one of your books but I dont know which one to choose! But i am pretty sure I want to read Into The Ravine. It looks amazing. I am really into reading and I love books so much! So thank-you for the great presentation, (and the funny grandma with the blender,hahaha) Bye Bye!

Brenda Sutton said...

Richard,
Orla told me about the new website. It's a blast. I nearly widdled when I clicked on "Nothing".

So I've gone back to the interview and story to add a link to this new place. And I also added Amazon links to every place where we mentioned a title. They may generate some sales, and they liven up my pages.

Don't let the blogging eat you alive. Be strong. Only check your blog once a day.

Richard Scrimger said...

all you anonymous guys -- thanks for the kind thoughts. I had a blast at your school. If you want to get in touch, you can check the contact section of the website, and I'll email you back.

best
Richard

and you, brenda, are so darn right. thanks