Wednesday 8 September 2010

lunch moment


September is the nostalgic-est month. Cool nights, turning leaves, migrating Monarchs, football, film festivals ... and, oh yes, school. We may have hated school, but it is one of the strongest youth memories. And looking back from our mortgages and deadlines and piles of laundry, school doesn't seem so bad now, does it. So you didn't understand trigonometry, so what?

For the first time in years, I am making lunches. Does it ever take me back! Fortunately Ed is not too picky. Bread, meat, cheese, tuna, peanut butter -- all good. Add a juice box, maybe a chewy bar, and he's fine. And if I am too tired or busy, Ed is perfectly able to make his own lunch.

Yeah, I said peanut butter. That's what Ed is having today. I can honestly say that I have not packed a peanut butter sandwich since I was in high school myself. Ed's school has adopted the policy that allergic kids can deal with it. Good for them, I say. A Darwinian approach -- weeding out the weak. After all, peanut butter is cheap, good for you, and spreadable. If only more of life was like that.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

I have some new kindergarten kids in my daycare group. One kid's mother must have told him to say please and thank you, because he says it all the time,
no matter what I say to him.
"Did you have a good summer...?"
"Please and thank you," is his response.

We have peanut butter at our school too.

Richard Scrimger said...

peanut butter in kindergarten? you monsters! do you allow the children to carry knives too?

Marilyn said...

We let them run with scissors.

amy pritzker said...

Freakin' hilarious -- as usual. BTW - my kindergarten teacher told me not to run with scissors in my hand, otherwise I'd poke them in my eyes, and end up with star-shaped holes where my irises had been. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...lip gloss is cheap and spreadable too. Debatable whether it helps much in school.

Sand

Richard Scrimger said...

grim and gruesome, these kindergarten teachers!!